Ultrasound imaging, also known as sonography, is a safe and painless imaging technique that produces images of the inside of the body using high-frequency sound waves as opposed to radiation.
With the use of a small transducer (probe) and ultrasound gel placed directly on the skin, high-frequency sound waves are sent from the probe through the gel into the body. The transducer collects the sounds that bounce back and a computer uses those sound waves to create images of the inside of your body. The images captured by ultrasound are in real time and show the movement and structure of internal organs, as well as blood as it flows through the vessels.
Request an appointment
ULTRASOUND SCANS PERFORMED AT TARANAKI RADIOLOGY
Ultrasound scans can be used to help diagnose a variety of medical conditions. Ultrasounds also assist your referrer to evaluate various symptoms, like infections, swelling or pain.
Ultrasound can be used for guidance during procedures as well, such as biopsies, or image guided injections.
Ultrasounds are extremely useful in examining many of the body’s organs, which makes it a valuable test for issues related to circulation, abdominal conditions, obstetrics, urology, musculoskeletal concerns and more.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Ultrasound is used to monitor a developing foetus, image the breasts, diagnose a variety of heart conditions, guide biopsies and more including:
- Kidneys / bladder
- Scrotum / Testes
- Ovaries / uterus
Ultrasound is a simple, safe, painless diagnostic procedure. If you have any questions about the examination, speak to your referrer or ask our staff.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- We will give you a call before your appointment to talk through any preparation instructions.
- On the day of your exam, please arrive at 56 Fulford Street 10 minutes early for check-in.
- Once you have arrived and checked in at 56 Fulford Street, you will be led to the scan room.
- The sonographer will help position you on a cushioned table.
- Gel will be applied to your skin. The gel acts as a conductor.
- A transducer, a hand-held device that sends and receives ultrasound signals, will be moved over the area of your body being imaged.
- Images will be instantly captured on a monitor and will be sent to a radiologist for review.
- When your scan is complete, you will be given paper towel to remove any remaining gel from your skin. Your appointment is complete.
- After the examination, your images will be sent electronically to a radiologist who will review the information and send a radiology report to your referrer.
- You should follow up with your referrer to discuss your results.
What is an Ultrasound scan?
Ultrasound uses high-frequency sound waves to produce pictures of organs, tissues and blood flow. Because ultrasound images are captured in real time, they can show the structure and movement of the body’s internal organs as well as blood flowing through vessels.
Am I allowed to bring a friend or relative to my appointment?
You are welcome to have a family member or support person accompany you while you have your ultrasound scan. If required, we are able to provide a chaperone.
Indicative PricingThis is a selection of commonly requested scans.
- Ultrasound Renal Scan $240.00
- Ultrasound Thyroid Scan $280.00
- Ultrasound Breast Scan (Single/Both) $230.00-$280.00
- Ultrasound Testes $280.00
- These prices are estimates only and are subject to change at any time. For accurate pricing quotes, please contact us.
Service Location: Fulford
56 Fulford Street, New Plymouth
8am-6pm Monday, 8am-5pm Tuesday – Friday
Phone 06 759 4317 extension 700